Friday, January 10, 2014

The Beginning

Hello Friends and Family,

  I am beyond blessed and extremely excited to finally be able to share with you all that in 30 days I will be departing from the US and heading to Haiti for 3 months!!!!  

The Details:
  I will be living at a guesthouse in Port Au Prince Haiti until the middle of April, and working in an orphanage in Maison des Enfants de Dieu. While in Haiti, I will be educating nurses, physicians, and staff on effective techniques to reduce the rate of infection as well as help implement new training material. In addition, I will be working with and educating Nursing School Students prior to their graduation. This work will consist of helping them with organizational skills, training on sterile technique, clinical work, and fundamental nursing care.  I will be spending the majority of my time in the orphanage providing medical care to children and their caretakers; many of whom do not have the opportunity to seek medical care. My service will include well baby checkups as well as provide more complex care as needed. 

Words cannot begin to express the gratitude for the opportunity that has been presented to me to serve a community less fortunate and so in need of vital skills.

Some questions that have come up thus far:

Why: Why Haiti?
  As many of you know, I have been to Haiti twice and have fallen in love with the country. Yes- it is unsafe, yes- it is not clean, and yes- they are extremely poor, but yes- they are so loving, and yes- there is a need for me and other. 
  We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. -Romans 8:28. 
   It is time to get out of my boat - (my comfort zone) - , to get going, to do good in the world, to take responsibility for my life and my happiness. It's time to move!!!! I have been feeling a calling to serve and love like Jesus loves, and I have been praying about this ever since. 


Are you fundraising?
  Yes. The orphanage supplies are scare, and on top of this I am raising 850$ per month. The link to donate in in the support tab via Paypal. The thing that will be needed the most is support through your thoughts and prayers. AND toys- such as:
- jump ropes (oriental trader, dollar stores)
- vitamins 
- flip flops, 
- soap, toothbrushes/paste 
- small matchbox cars
- hats, sunglasses
- etc.... or anything else you can think the children might love 

How can we get involved?
1. Pray. I will desperately need a community praying for safety and that I am able to be Gods vessel.
2. Support- As I am beyond excited, I am also sad leaving behind family and friends and of course my little (westie-Izzy). Your support and encouragement will be needed as the weeks progress. 
3. Follow my adventures. Subscribe to this blog and become part of my family while I am away.

I love you all and I am so excited to begin my new Adventure!!!!

- Ashley 

No comments:

Post a Comment