Friday, April 11, 2014

A Week of Fun

This week has been so much fun. It has ben packed full of all sorts of events. Saturday- my birthday festivities with friends, Sunday- new adventures, Monday- museum, Tuesday- my actual birthday, Wednesday- afternoon shopping for gifts to bring back, Thursday- full day at the O and then a night out to see a musical group called RAM, and then here we are- it is Friday. I will not be at the O much next week so I wanted to celebrate all April Birthday's this week. 

Holly was super awesome yesterday during her work break and baked the cake and cupcakes for me so we would have the ability to go out that evening. I iced everything when I got home from the O, and got all the goodies ready for today. 

I am super shocked that I didn't crash any today considering we didn't get much sleep last night, but I had so much energy all day. Which was desperately needed. Two birthday parties with 70 children can be exhausting for anyone. 

The morning started out great. I arrived and all the babies were fully dressed (I am a fan of both top and bottoms on the kids and not just a shirt and diaper, and they all had shoes on- another awesome thing)  and they were outside playing!!!  YAY- my constant reinforcement and encouragement is paying off. I just stood there and stared at all of them. Laughing, playing, running, and having fun. It was perfect. 

Around 10:45 is the normal snack time for the toddlers and since they were already outside I took the opportunity to get the cupcakes cut in smaller pieces and balloons and beach balls inflated. Rudy (my translator and who has been a big help) helped my with all of this. With the help of the nannies, the babies were served a slice of strawberry cupcake, and then we all sang happy Birthday. Afterwards, they danced around the porch area and played with the balloons and toys. To an outsider, this might look like complete chaos, but to us- it is the most beautiful chaos you will witness. 

Prayer time (aka- screaming the devil out of you) is around noon, so we got all 32 babies and toddlers back into their room for a diaper change and chill session. I would like to say here that I am submitting my application for Guinness World Book of Records for being the faster diaper changer of 20 babies/toddlers (ages 12 months- 3 years) without getting peed on, losing diapers in the mix, adding powder to each bottom, and snapping the onsies back together, all while not losing my mind. I would also like to make note- that I now understand why parents prefer the zipper vs 8,000 buttons on their child's clothing. The things I am learning are hysterical and I am sure amusing to all the nannies. But hey- just look at all this experience I am getting for my future nieces and nephews (and yes Courtney- I will be Auntie Ashley - nobody has to know otherwise :) ). 

OK one party was a success, now it was on to the older kiddos. Again, Rudy helped me with the cake, balloons, beach balls, and organizing the prize table. The menu was a vanilla cake with chocolate icing. If any of you have had Haitian inspired baking, you will know that anything homemade is pretty much the best thing ever. Let's just say baking is not their speciality. The party was a hit. Beads, Bubbles, Balloons, Bracelets, Beach Balls, Hot Wheels, Headbands, Jump Ropes, Paddleball Game, Musical Instruments, and bouncy balls. I mean it was like Christmas. I just said go, and there was a mad dash for the prize table. The afternoon was theirs, and they had armfuls of toys to play with. I hope they had as much fun as I did. 

We ended the afternoon by talking Frankis (well there wasn't much talking, he is all about the happiness of the kids, so whatever they want he tries his hardest to make it happen) into setting up the projector for a movie. This is normally a Saturday treat. It is getting hot here, like really hot, and it is only April. We have been coloring, making loom band bracelets, and reading to avoid the afternoon heat, so the afternoon movie was such a fun treat. 

All in all it was a great day. I am so glad we were able to celebrate today!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment