Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Apparent Project

I left the O early today because Holly was meeting a friend for coffee at the Apparent Project, and I wanted to go and check it out. I went last week but didn't get there before the staff left, so I wanted to see everyone in action today. If you have been playing around on this blog you might have come across the "Shop Haiti" link. I have the Apparent Project's link there, so please go and check them out. It is pretty much an amazing company with an incredible story.

If you remember from one of my first blog's I met a girl named Callie. Callie and Holly are really good friends so we see each other a lot. She is also the Marketing Rep for the Apparent Project along with doing a lot of their web designs, etc. Super creative and always fun to hang out with. 

I knew a little bit about this company, but didn't have the full story, so I was super excited to get a little tour today while the Haitians were hard at work. The entire mission of this company is to keep families together. And I love it. Many people do not know that a lot of the children in orphanages actually have living parents. They are just not able to care for their child due to poverty so the best option (at the time) is to place the child in an orphanage. This way they will at least be fed everyday. Haiti has an average of 500,000 children living in an orphanage since the earthquake in 2010. The Apparent Project is helping to lower this number each day. The goal of their organization is to help mothers and fathers be  A PARENT to their child, and with over 190 employed Haitians- they are reaching some pretty amazing goals!!!

As I went on my tour, Callie explained how everything was made, by hand, out of recyclable paper products, soil for the clay pottery, and fabric for sewing. I was so impressed with how someone can made something so neat out of a recycled cereal box. 

If you have time, please visit their website to read about their mission, vision, and ways they are empowering Haitians (something I have found great passion in). 

This afternoon was pretty awesome, and I forgot to share the best news.... they make fresh Smoothies!!!!!  And it was DELICIOUS :) I had the Mario special!!

Metal Art Work-- All hand made. 

Paper Ornament 

Pottery- was able to see them making this today :)

Necklaces with  little metal work 

Clay beads before getting painted 

Clay beads painted 

Staff working on rolling paper for the necklaces, earrings, and bracelets 

Sewing away making beautiful bags 

And my favorite- coasters from recycles cereal boxes- rolled and glued together 

 Making the coasters 

Haitian Staff members working so hard stringing beads 

 And the final Product 




No comments:

Post a Comment