Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My 28th Birthday

Yikes... It is a little scary to write that number. 28- I turned 28 yesterday. As I have mentioned in one of my previous post, birthdays are a big deal. They always have been and probably always will be. I have my mother to thank for this. She always made our birthdays something special and a big event. After all, it was the day you entered this crazy world. I hear the same stories each year, how long labor was, how long everyone was waiting for me to get here, and the shock when I came out a girl. I love hearing them all!! This year, given that I do not have calling ability to the US, the stories were shorter, but the love was deeper. I can honestly say without a doubt this was one of my best birthdays, and I look forward to seeing that 28 has in store for me. 

The birthday celebration started on Saturday when Holly, Ducans, Mitch, and myself went to Hotel Montana. We spent the day by the pool, enjoyed the most beautiful views, and relaxed. The week was super busy for everyone so a day to chill was so nice. We enjoyed iced coffee's and a yummy lunch. Since the actual birthday was on Tuesday, and who knows what all can happen in the week, we decided since we are out and about let's just go to dinner. It wasn't until this past year that I started to eat sushi and actually enjoy it. When Holly asked what I wanted for dinner- sushi popped in my head. Well- in Haiti you do not have the 10,000 food choices as you do in the states, so I said I am good with whatever. AND because the only sushi restaurant I knew of was on the UN base- complete opposite direction of our current location. We left the hotel with the idea of getting Chinese- Mitch knew of some restaurant that was good so we went with his suggestion. We drove all around Petionville (which was totally enjoyable), and after asking several locals were told the restaurant closed. Bummer..... ok option B.... the next choice was Mexican. On our way there we passed a restaurant that looked like it was Japanese.....wait... is that.... heck yes it was.... Score- we were having SUSHI!!!!  And it was the same sushi restaurant that's on the UN base just a different location. Oh I was totally excited. No offense Holly, but I am not a big Chinese eater (wink wink). We ordered, shared a few laughs, chatted, and then I got the best surprise. While Mitch was gone (had an airport pick up) he stopped at the bakery and picked up a birthday cake. Apparently, when I went to the restroom they snuck it in the restaurant and informed the staff. The next thing I know the entire restaurant was singing, and there is a HUGE firework on a cake placed right in front of me. It was the prefect ending to the night. 

On Sunday- we went to church with the new team in town, had a delicious paid for lunch (greek salad- oh so yummy- and oh so green!) and then went sightseeing around a few new places. I placed a custom order with a metal artist and will go pick up the final product tomorrow. Super excited and cannot wait to see it. And then in the late afternoon we came home to chill. Talk about a busy weekend. But it was so enjoyable. I am really loving the fact that my last few weeks here I am getting the opportunity to actually see Haiti and all of its beauty. 

Monday started like a normal Monday at the O, but with an afternoon of adventure. We again met up with the new team and visited a museum. Forgive me, I do not remember the name. I am not really a good history person. It is interesting to me, but as soon as I hear it, it is gone. But none the less, it was quite interesting to learn the history of Haiti. The evening was filled with friends, food, and laughs. 

Tuesday- My actual Birthday. I woke up gearing to go and had a great hour and a half workout, followed by Holly busting through the door singing and dancing Happy Birthday. I so wish I could have recorded this. It was awesome!!  I opened my eamil and to my surprise I had a birthday video. I watched the video Scott recorded for me with a special message from my friends back home. It was such a wonderful and thoughtful gift. I spent the day at the O with all the kiddos and slowly one by one they heard it was my Birthday, and were even more excited when I told them on Friday we were having a Birthday Bash with homemade cake and cupcakes, games, balloons, and games, and it is to celebrate all April Birthdays!!! 

Every year when asked what kind of cake do I want, it is either Strawberry or Ice Cream cake. I am a sucker for Ice Cream- just really wish it wasn't dairy :(  Well since the possibility of getting an Ice Cream cake was slim to none we decided to just get Ice Cream for the night (since it is a huge luxury here) and celebrate at home. Well those plans quickly changed. We wanted to get out. And  I actually felt "normal" for a change. I didn't bring my "normal" summer clothes just because packing had to be minimal, so I have to wear my O clothes pretty much wherever I go, and since I wore my sundress to the O during the day- that left me with a tank and gauchos.......Luckily,  Holly came to my rescue. I was chatting with mom when she walked in my room with a cute little sundress, earrings, and necklace, and said get dressed we are looking cute tonight!!!!  It was perfect. Mitch picked us up, and before we knew it we were having a fruity cocktail, sitting by the gorgeous pool, and having a good time with good friends. We ended the night with a scrumptious brownie topped with ice cream.

I cannot think of a better way to celebrate my birthday. I heard from everyone and felt so much love. 28 is going to be a good year!!!!  













No comments:

Post a Comment