Monday, April 21, 2014

See you Soon


  Friday afternoon I said my good-byes to the kiddos. I had been preparing for my departure all week long so it wouldn’t be so hard on all of us Friday afternoon. The day started out like all the others. Wilson was up in his chair, the babies on the front porch, the little kids outside playing, and the other kids playing soccer and Frisbee. It was Good Friday so there was no school. I loved it- a complete free day for us to reflect on the real reason for Easter and a day for us to play together before my departure.

We spent the entire day together. I finalized up a few Admin things, communicated some things to Pierre, and then spent my day hanging out with all of the kids. We colored, played soccer, talked about what I would do in the states, and their anticipation of their homecomings.  I fed the babies lunch, rocked them all a bit, played superman with them, ate fruit snacks with the toddlers, and polished up on my mass diaper changing skills one last time.

The day was great. I kept my mind busy so I wouldn’t think about not seeing these little rugrats for a long time.


I left the O around 4:30. It wasn’t as hard as I had imagined and I was super proud of myself for not sheading any tears in front of the kids. I think the “I will see you soon” thought process I kept telling myself helped me get through this. The reality is- I may not see then soon, or ever worse, ever again. I think this hit when the gates to the house opened up. I walked up to my room and just sat there- tears rolling down my face, but a smile on my face. I was sad to leave the kids, but I knew that during my stay, they were loved, cared for, happy, and made a priority. If I only touched one child my entire journey, then it was worth it. I went into this trip with the mindset of I am going to teach them everything about hygiene, diseases, cleanliness, etc. What I did not expect is for them to give me more than I could have imagined and so much more than I gave them. I sat there and looked over my photos, and knew that one child was touched, Benchina. Benchina was a quiet, shy, depressed looking little girl when I arrived. The pictures below is my first week with her- the first time she let me hold her, the first time she let me take her outside without crying. The third picture is my last day. She has made the biggest transition, her brain has been stimulated, her spirit is alive, and she is the happiest little girl. The tears went away as I kept scrolling through the pictures. 






My Good Morning Greeting :)



I knew this part of my journey was complete, and I could do nothing but rejoice. I have been given a new life because of 68 beautiful hearts overwhelmingly full of love.  I pray I touched their lives as much as they did mine.





Until next time. I will see you all soon :):):)  


No comments:

Post a Comment