Saturday, February 8, 2014

Day 1

Day 1:
  Wow…. It is now 10:30 here- I am just an hour ahead of home time. I am not sure where to even begin. I started writing today during my 4 hour layover, but as I sit here and read it- I decided to write what is on my mind now, So forgive me if this is all over the place- my mind is doing crazy today.
   The day started at 3 am with my last final HOT shower. I got ready, let little missy outside- “hey it snowed”- oh I wonder if my flight will be delayed- I sure hope not, I am just ready to go. …. Ok on to packing-finished packing up the car. I am just going to put this out there now- I know many of you think I am crazy how much I obsess over “my dog” but she is “my child” so as you imagine me leaving- imagine yourself leaving your child for 3 months. It’s a little emotional. Anyways- we said our goodbyes- well I said goodbye- she gave me the sad eyes, which led to a few tears. BUT finally 4am we roll out of the driveway. I am packed and ready to go. I arrived at the airport a little before 5 am- unloaded all 3- 75lbs bags- got those checked in (thanks Jenny!!)- Said more goodbyes- which again lead to more tears, then walked inside to begin my new life (for 3 months anyways). ALMOST made it through security, except that I forgot about the coconut oil that was placed in the wrong bag. Oh well, I am sure I can live without it. As I am walking to gate C5- I am going over my mental check list- did I get my camera, the charger, phone, etc….. YEP, I have it all. Ok- here we go. I boarded the plane, and let me just tell you if you have never flown first class- it’s a must. I had plenty of legroom; a nice bowl of oatmeal with fruit, a bagel with cream cheese, and my OJ glass never went dry. I know you are probably thinking- what the heck- she is going to a third world country and she is flying first class. Well remember the FREE 75lbs bags I got to check- Jenny upgraded me to first class so I could get everything there and not pay and arm and a leg- AND it was WONDERFUL. Unfortunately, the flight to Miami was completely full so I was back with the regular peeps. BUT I met some pretty awesome people on this flight. Oh and for you Alabama fans- Gene Stalling was on this flight….. He and his crew of 51 medical people were going to Haiti to serve in one of the orphanages. Anyways, the guys sitting beside me ( I was in the middle- went from first class to middle seat) were on this trip. We chatted the whole way- he is a PA for a hospital in Texas- he is the “grafter” for bypass surgery. Pretty neat since I am a cardiac nurse. So during this chat, by trip came up. He has a daughter as well so I could sense the anxiety coming from him. At one point during the flight- he looked at me and said- I don’t know how your parents are doing this. An attractive female in the “Haiti” world all alone….. I just laughed. Like I have always said and will always say- Everything Happens for a Reason…. I am supposed to be here, so therefore I know He will watch over me and keep me safe. Now, of course I am going to be safe and watch for myself, but you get the idea. I wish I would have got his number or email or something because when we landed he was right beside me. He bought me a cart for the heavy bags, stood beside me along with another surgeon until I got all the bags, and waited by the luggage as I franticly searched for Angie and “Big”. His crew was had all their bags and were ready to go and by this point they all knew me and knew my story. He was a little reluctant to leave, but I assured him I would be ok (in reality I was in a cold sweat). The next thing I know another one of the surgeon yells my name from across the entire baggage claim- they saw “Big” and Angie outside and came back to get me. I want to say thank you Gary and your amazing crew for “taking care” of me today. You are a blessing and I hope you have a wonderful first visit here.
  So now- it is around 5 and getting dark. I arrived at the house, unloaded everything, organized my room, and go downstairs for dinner. I felt like Julie Roberts in the movie- Eat Love Pray when she arrives at her first destination and the little Italian woman walks her to her room and Julia is asking about the “bath situation” because I am pretty sure I have out questioned myself today….. Please forgive me Angie- I promise I won’t ask this many questions every day.


So there it is…. My first day here.

I am exhausted both physically and emotionally. Today has been one heck of a day. I was going through some of my things and opened my journal and noted the bible verse- it says “Give Thanks in Everything”. Today I give thanks for sweet fiends and family I left behind; awesome first class experience; a new friend in disguise; the happy, sad, and scared tears that were shed; and for this new adventure I am about to embark on.


Goodnight for now…… and Give Tanks!

I will try and share some pictures soon. But for now, I must go to bed. 

2 comments:

  1. Saw this verse yesterday and was reminded of it just not reading your blog entry:
    "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done."
    Phillipians 4:6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome test Scott. Ashely: I can't believe I lost track of time, and you are already Gone! I wanted to e-mail you and tell you how proud I am of you for what you are doing for others, yes, but also for yourself. You will never be the same. The thing that crossed my mind when I got your e-mail was how we work with people every day, and we don't really know them. God Bless You, and know that I will be praying for you and your kids every day. - Teresa

    ReplyDelete