Tuesday, February 11, 2014

New Friends!

   So today is my 2nd day at the O (Orphanage) but 4th day in Haiti. Yesterday was pretty great. As many of you already know- I spent the day observing and being a helping hand while trying to learn the ropes here. I was able to get in my baby fix by feeding the little ones, and then singing and coloring with the toddlers. I was utterly exhausted by the time 5:30 rolled around, but my housemates (Angie and Holly) were going to dinner on the UN base with some of their AMERICAN friends. WHAT!!!  Heck yes I want to go, and it was SUSHI!!!!!  It was so yummy and I had such a great time getting to meet everyone. So for those of you that don’t know Angie is the American who works at the O, and Holly is a social worker who basically has her own private practice here. She helps adoptive parents and kids transition through the process as well as working with younger kids that have had traumatic life events. Then there is Kyle- she has been in Haiti for about 4 or so years and she teaches English at a preschool. She is leaving in 5 weeks for Japan. Talk about a life transition. She is also from NASHVILLE TN!!!!  It was pretty freaking awesome to sit and talk to her about Vanderbilt- which is where she used to teach, and about the life back in the states. Best of luck to her on her next journey. Kelly is a beautiful blonde who works at the Apparent Project- there is a link on my page under shop Haiti- check it out. My friend Jen initially told me about the apparent project back in October and I have wanted to go ever since. Pretty cool that I met the marketing rep last night and will make my way there very soon. She also lives with 2 other American girls one of whom is a personal trainer back in the States, AND she informed me of some spin bikes down the street from her. So needless to say we are going to be workout buddies!!!  And lastly, there was Cindy. She has been here for quite some time as well, but just recently had 2 grandbabies 2 days apart from each other, so I sense her time here is ending soon. She is the “house mom” of several boys and works in a bakery here.
  So yesterday was a good day overall. The morning started out great with a nice sweat session, breakfast, and a ride to the O. Then a BIG dose of reality hit. Yes I have seen Orphanages before and have worked with kids, but this is different. I am here for 3 months. I am very thankful I had on my sunglasses because I am sure the look on my face was something nobody needed to witness. I quickly had to regroup and remember I am here to help, to help in any way I can. This is their life, so whatever I can do to make it better for them- then that’s what I will do. I took off my “I will fix it all” American Hat and put on my “lets get dirty” Haitian hat and got to work. I mostly observed- how the nannies interact with the babies- 3 nannies per room (10-15 babies in each room), and the ratio is less with the older kids; how the “washers” wash ALL of these clothes; the bath process (2 times daily), feeding schedules; and the nurse room. I took it all in. During certain parts of the day I came to the porch to journal my thoughts. I want to be able to remember all of this- every little details, every little feeling, and every little moment. I will try and relay some of these here on the blog, but forgive me for parts I leave out. 
   I left the O around 5 ish, went home to “freshen up”- which if you have ever been here you know this just simply means applying more DO, washing the face, adding on yet more bug spray, and calling it a day. Since I have to physically wash my own laundry I am trying to be very cautious on how many times a day I change outfits. And since its still hot there was no point in a shower (secretly I just didn’t want to step foot in the artic blast of a shower!) I laughed ay myself because back in the states, I would have taken a shower, redone the hair and make up before going to dinner. I mean really who want to sit next to a dirty girl. WELL, this is different- ha- here, I go to dinner gross J. The day ended great. We got home around 9pm, and by 10, I was sound a sleep. Yes I did shower before bed in case you were wondering J

   Give Thanks-

         Ashley

group shot form dinner 

No comments:

Post a Comment