Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sight-Seeing

So I promised I wouldn’t write everyday, but I just have so much to share with everyone.

Yesterday was a little different day for me. I ran errands with Angie and Lucknie. We had to take her to the doctor so I tagged along for the ride. That’s in itself is a story.

My Vandy family will enjoy this.

    There was no check in form- you were not asked for any sort of history, medications, allergies, or what pharmacy you will need scripts sent to. We simply walked in the front door of this building and signed in. I referred to it as a one-stop shop. It was a pediatrician’s office, OB/GYN, lab, and drug store all in one! We did have a Co-pay though and it was paid before we could see the MD…… imagine this… :) We sat in the “waiting room”- now remember this building is about the size of many of our kitchens so the waiting room was quite small. Angie and Lucknie were called back in about 3 minutes and within 30 minutes we left. Not bad, and Luknie even had an ultrasound- in which case the generator had to be started.
   So after the MD apt we ventured off to finish the errands- Western Union, groceries since Angie is leaving, and picking up a cake for the going home party Sunday. We went to a store called Star 2000, and I am pretty sure I looked like a complete tourist. They have real AMERICAN stuff. Like Fruit Loops, and Candy, and Juice, and honey, and BOATHOUSE GREEN GOODNESS!!!!  Score one for me!!! Of course it was in gourdes so I had to do some math….. little pricey for this luxury but totally worth every penny (or 5.50$).  I was like a kid in the candy store. It was AWESOME!!  And it’s not far from the house- another huge plus. I can walk (of course only after I learn a little street smarts).

By the way- one thing you miss from states life is the ability to get in your vehicle and take yourself anywhere you desire. I have been able to go everywhere I want to go so far, but I am sure one day I will be stuck and that will not be awesome.

After the pretty splendid experience I had at the grocery store, I was ready for more. Next stop Epi Dor. This place has ICE CREAM!!!!!  I mean seriously- I was in heaven yesterday. Of course I didn’t get any, but we are totally going here for my Birthday!!!  We picked up the cake and headed back to the house to drop everything off.

Then back to the O. And guess whom I found scooting around on the floor--- yep you guessed it, WILSON!!!  Since Miss Ashley missed school (I know- not off to a good start) we had to improvise.  I got him up to his standing chair with the help of my pretty awesome translator Rudy, who had a New York accent- its fantastic!!!  He is also teaching me some creole (YAY!!!).  Wilson successfully stood for 20 minutes. (Today we broke some rules and went for 25mins…. shhhh- don’t tell Mary France- she kept telling me only 20 mins., K- ok Mary France only 20 mins :)).

THEN, I got an email from Christy- she is the president of For His Glory (the organization I am working with) asking me to get pics and videos of the kids dancing for Amy with the Bobby Bones Show. They are filming today and wanted some footage of the kids. Now, we all know the white girl cannot dance, but since this is for the kids and a good cause I danced- and videoed the kids dancing. Luckily, one of the nannies started singing one of the popular songs and the kids went crazy!!!! 

OK Video done!

Holly came and we walked to the Habitation Hatt Hotel for the departure party for Jen and the boys. Meet some pretty awesome people and shared lots of laughs. Very Very fun night. I am so excited she is going home, but sad we don’t get to hang out more. The boys wanted to do the Harlem Shake with all the family and friends- and lets just say that was hilarious. Jen should have the video posted soon.

Yesterday was good. I am starting to learn a few words here and there, and organizing my thoughts and ideas of ways to help improve things here. I have to remember- slow change- very slow changes, but I must go slowly in order for them to learn and continue this practice and changes after I am gone.


Wish me luck :)

its the little things..... 

Fun group of people 


GO Wilson GO


The hotel upgraded the pool. It was so pretty!!


Birthday Girl!!!!


Loving the cake 

OH SO YUMMY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment