Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine's Day


I will be honest when I am starting this post, and let you all know I think Valentine’s Day is just a day for stores to make money. I think you shouldn’t have a special day to tell your spouse or significant other you love them- you should do this daily. With all that said…. I had a blast today celebrating with the kiddos.

I knew I would be here for Valentines Day so I wanted to try and make it special for them. This week I observed the different age levels to see who would be able to make cards and such. Wednesday evening I sat in my room and cut out 15 heart shaped cards for the kindergarten age kiddos. I knew the older guys and gals would be able to do their own, and I wanted to teach them how to make the hearts.

I was so excited to be able to share this day with them- to love on them and show them some special affection they rarely get. It’s not that the nannies have no desire to show love; it is just hard with so few of them and so many children.

Well…. I woke up feeling like crud. How could this be???  It’s Valentines Day. I have so many fun things planned today……. I can’t be sick…

I managed to get myself together, get in a small workout, shower and put on a smile.

I got to the O today around 9 am- just in time for school to be starting!!!  Rudy met me at the door, and I told him “I hope you wore your running shoes today because we have a busy morning!”

First stop- kindergarten room- Nathay is their teacher and knew I was coming so when the kids saw me with stickers, markers, heart shaped cards, and CANDY- they were so EXCITED!!!!  And they did AWESOME!!!!!  They were so well behaved. They stood in line (something that we are working on- I hate the barging most of them do- not like they want to, but they hardly ever get treats so they want to make sure they get one. I am trying to teach them to wait in line, and each person will get a treat.), got their treat, sat facing the right way at the table and waited until I passed out the cards and markers.  Then they went to town- knew exactly what to do and were so so excited!!! 





Next stop- older kids upstairs. Johnston (their teacher) also knew I was coming and I completely interrupted math session, but seriously candy and cards are so much better than math.

They too were ecstatic that I was there. I have one special boy who speaks English so I designated him as my helper, and let me tell you he was absolutely PERFECT. He helped pass out scissors, help the others who were having difficulty cutting a heart, and got everyone in line for pictures.










**Side note** Sometimes, the kids get labeled as bullies or troublemakers and I kind of felt he got this title. I think maybe if we get on their level and speak to them with kindness and love we really see the Godly child they are. They have one heck of a tough life, and did not ask for this. As it can be exhausting and frustrating, it’s important that the adults know this and try and help the child the best way they can. Of course you are going to have those who beg for attention, often times in the wrong way- but it’s not much different than the states kiddos. We have to remember this and love them through their frustration.

Ok enough of the snap…. This is supposed to be a happy post.

Jen Haefeli gave me 70 hearts and candy to pass out to the kids, so I wanted to make sure we got these hung. I had each child write their name on them and we hung them in the hallways.








The day was great. The children were so well behaved, said “thank you” countless times, and had a wonderful Valentine’s Day. Even though I miss all my loves back home, I couldn’t have asked for a better day……  Happy Valentines Day!!!!

Love on someone today.





No comments:

Post a Comment