Sunday, February 16, 2014

Laundry



Laundry- easy right… separate the colors, open the washer- place clothes in washer, add soap and smell good stuff, close lid, turn dial, and BAM- laundry is washing……wait about 30-45 minutes, take clothes out of washer, hang up delicates J and workout clothes, and place the others in the dryer, place a nice smelling dryer sheet and close the lid- turn the dial……. And BAM- laundry done!!!  Awesome- just need to fold and you all good to go…..


Well……. That’s totally NOT the process here.

I knew when I got here laundry would be my biggest battle. During my previous trips, the hotel would do the laundry for a price and since I was only there a week- I just packed enough to avoid this. Well I am here for 3 months- I don’t own enough clothes (especially since I wear 2-3 outfits a day) for laundry to not be an issue. I talked to Mackenzie (the house manager) last week about laundry and he said for “small price” I could use the washer. Well this American would rather spend that “small price” ($1 per pants, .50$ per shirt) on other goods that I will need here…. So I learned the Haitian way to wash clothes. 

Thankfully Jen gave me a tote before she left and I had Lucknie as my “supervisor” and helper today.

My new Laundry process: FIRST- do not wear 3 outfits a day, and SECOND don’t want until Sunday to do all the clothes….. my arms are sore- of course it could also be the 275 push ups I did this week, but anyways on with the laundry.

Step 1: take all your dirty clothes outside with your tote and laundry soap.
Step 2: fill the tote up with water- now this isn’t hose pipe water, it's water sitting in a barrel (I didn’t bother to ask where it came from, I just used it)
Step 3: empty clothes in tote along with laundry soap (note to self: don’t empty ALL the clothes at once, only a few items)
Step 4: use the “plunger type apparatus” and with your arms “plunge” the clothes for 10 mins. (I wanted to be done- but Lucknie made me go longer…. Said clothes still smell L). Plunge for longer… or until Lucknie says ok to stop….
Step 5: take your second tote and add water- still from the same barrel.
Step 6: ring out the extra water from the soapy water and place in the “fresh” water
Step 7: “Plunge” clothes- removing the soapsuds.
Step 8: empty the first tote of dirty water and refill with fresh water.
Step 9: transfer clothes back to this tote and- you guessed it, plunge the clothes yet another time.
Step 9: Finally- ring out the clothes and proceed to the clothes line for drying- yep undies and all……. For all to see :( 
Step 10: 5 hours later, go get clothes off line and fold and put away….
Step 11: Febreeze any clothes that need a little extra freshness (I will get better soon… I hope)



OH how I so appreciate the invention of the washer and dryer……




OK I had a video to share- but it is being shy and won't upload. Maybe I will try again 





No comments:

Post a Comment