Sunday, March 23, 2014

30 Abes


What is 30 Abes?????  Well I am so glad you asked. 30 Abes is a campaign to promote a Food Packaging Event for Haiti. In Nashville TN (my hometown) on September 28th, thousands volunteered in the Municipal Auditorium with a goal to break the Guinness World Record for amount of hunger- relief meals packages in an hour. Well, the goal was reached- 530,064 meals in 45 minutes!!!!  

  My mom was in town running a half marathon this very same weekend, so I was not able to volunteer for this event, but I am so glad that I was some how able to still be included. 

You see, this food was packaged in September and has been here for some time, we just couldn't get it out of customs. Shelves had been built, rooms organized, and money ready to go- just had to wait on the release. 

This past Thursday- March 20th- started just like any other day at the O. Wilson was up to his chair, kids were in class, and we even did a craft during break time. During lunch, Pierre mentioned that they food might be coming today. I had heard this statement before so I didn't get too excited, but when his phone kept blowing up during our meeting we knew something exciting was about to happen. YEP- the food was actually coming, and it was on its way. WHOO HOO!!!

The kids, nannies, and staff all knew something was up as they patiently waiting outside for the massive container to try and unload. After several failed attempts, the driver moved to the other entrance and was able to successfully back in the container. 

The doors swung open and the joy and excitement and cheering coming from the kidddos was pretty much amazing.

It was time to get busy. The kids, nannies, and my crew (the Pfaff family) all started unloading the boxes and moving them to storage. 7,362, 33lbs boxes, and 4 hours later we were finally finished. Every space possible was covered up with food boxes. Complete exhaustion, hungry, and thirsty is a good way to describe how we felt. We  stood there and looked at the empty container, the kids jumped in and started singing praise and dancing- It was magical. We were all so tired, but to see the kids so excited made those hunger and thrust pains go away. 

I know I am not properly describing my emotions here, but to see this container show up, and personally knowing many Nashville friends who helped with this, and then to be here and help to unload the food was an experience I will not forget. We often wonder where does this effort go, when we have fundraisers, and I so blessed to be able to witness all the efforts from the states go to the children, nannies, and staff that I have fallen in love with. 









1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this moment on your blog. That event in Nashville was so special for my family and I and it is truly amazing to hear the end result, not to mention from someone you know! I hope you don't mind, I took a clip of your moving description of that day and posted it on Facebook to the Bobby Bones Show. Co-host Amy on that show has been to this orphanage many times and it is because of her and that show that we got the chance to be a part of it.
    Thank you for the loving energy that you are giving these children and keep the updates coming!!!

    ReplyDelete