Saturday, March 29, 2014

Birth Family Day

This Saturday has been a little different that the previous Saturday's as we all got ready to go to the O for Birth Family Visitation. We had talked to the kids last night about their families coming and several were excited- other didn't seem to have any emotion- partly because they were not 100% sure if anyone was coming to visit. Insert broken heart.

We all arrived at the O around 10:30, and there was already several parents waiting. After a brief (2 hour meeting) the kids were finally able to spend some time with their families. I will be honest and say I had pictured this a lot different in my head, but that doesn't necessary mean it was the perfect picture. At first, especially the younger ones were timid and a few even cried when handed to their birth parents. I am sure this was hard on both parties. As I have been playing mom to all 68 of them over the last several weeks this was difficult for me to witness. I wanted to snatch them all back up and say thank you all for coming, but we will see you next time. BUT- these are their babies, and they traveled all this way to see them. After a few minutes, everyone relaxed and the families seemed to be enjoying each others company. In my head I pictured walking into the O today and the parents and children all playing outside- coloring, swinging, laughing, having snacks, etc.... The reality was, the families stayed to the side and each child was called to go and visit. I think this was to help keep the ones who had no parents in their semi- normal Saturday routine. Whatever the reason was I am sure it was thought about- just odd from my perspective.

The kids visited for a bit, would come back to see what we were doing, go back and visit more, and then the families left.

If you all will think back to last Thursday when we had the 30 Abes food arrive, and the mass amount we had, well Pierre decided to give each birth family a box of food. Each box contain 215 meals so needless to say, they will be fed for some time. The families were super excited to receive this gift, and left all smiling.

A very late lunch was served and then we had an afternoon surprise...... MATTRESSES came!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment