Thursday, March 13, 2014

Organizational Chaos


  Last week I noticed the babies were wearing adult sized diapers. Obviously, these are too big for them, so I asked Mary Francis what we needed- she informed me that we needed diapers. Luckily, Brain and the team were coming for the weekend so I asked if they could bring some down to get us by until I could get to a store to get some more. They did and we are ok on diapers until the end of next week or so.
   So this got me thinking- what all do we Have and what all do we Need. And the only way to figure this out is to dig in and organize. Baby room 1 has a pretty good size closet that houses a lot of things especially for the little ones, so I decided to start there. And Holy Cow- I didn’t know organization could take so much out of you, of course, there was no light in the room, and it was a sauna in there, but still……
   I have never seen so many baby clothes; socks- we have 2 large totes full of socks; 2 totes full of shoes;  a Christmas tree size tote full of bottles, nipples, pacifiers, and plastic baby spoons; shampoo (travel sized and regular bottles), an entire tote full of toothbrushes; bags of floss; lotion; countless bars of soap and body wash; 4 LARGE totes of blankets; enough boys undies for them to have a new pair from now until Christmas, and I cant even remember any more of it. It was insane. Why on earth do we have all this, and why is this stuff is not being used? The kids toothbrushes needed to be replaced a month ago, we have holes in panties, broken shoes, old bed sheets, and clothes with stains on them. That’s it- it's time to start replacing old stuff.
Probably should have mentioned what I was doing, but I didn’t and just started replacing all the yuck for new stuff!!!  All the older kids got new undies.
  **Side note- As a kid growing up- especially at Christmas time- undies were always a present. I remember my brother and I squeezing the wrapped gifts trying to figure out which one was the undies package, and not opening this one on Christmas Eve. Yesterday while I was organizing I found all these undies, so I asked each child to line up (by the way- we are doing much better about this :)) and one by one they walked in the office and picked out a pair. The girls went first- and as you might guess all the fun, girly, princess ones went right away. I was so excited to see each girl get a “fun” pair. The boys were next, and I wasn’t sure if this was going to be embarrassing for them or not, so I just let them come in one by one and pick out a pair, while I pretended to be busy. They were awesome. They wanted me to help and with lit faces they picked out Superman, Spiderman, Cars, Lego People, Batman, and Toy Story. Now remember these boys range from 6-12, so not being a mom I wasn’t sure if they were over the fun undies phase yet, but when that was the first thing they picked up I was so excited for them!!!  After they all got a pair, and while I was folding the rest, I sat there with a smile on my face, and thought I hated getting “panties” for a gift, and these guys just were so happy to get one pair.


   The madness of organization continued, and when I found the totes of toothbrushes, I passed one out to each nanny. Again- it felt like Christmas. I have fallen in love with one of the nannies- her name is Florence, and she is pretty much amazing. From day 1- she has been so helpful to me, and all ears when I suggest something new to do. When I handed her the toothbrush- she came over, gave me the biggest hug and kiss ever, and we just laughed for a minute together. This wasn’t me- this was God working, and this was for the generous people who donated the brushes. I just had the privilege of passing them out. 

We are having a toothbrush party tomorrow. 68 little ones will learn how to properly brush their teeth, and we are going to make it fun!!!  I cannot wait.

Ok back to organizing. It’s pretty amazing what you will find by doing this :) As most of you have seen my picture from yesterday, I found the baby sling (sorry, I don’t know the proper term) that’s pretty much amazing. Adrienna is 5 months old, and still isn’t sitting my herself, so when someone can’t watch her, she is in her bed. As we all know this isn’t good for brain stimulation, so I strapped the sling on and little miss helped me organize yesterday :) We chatted about all kinds of good stuff, and we even came up with a game plan for her to sit up by herself!

I finally finished the organization today, and I am completely exhausted. We have way more clothes for girl 24 months and under that we will ever need. Many with the tags still on, so I am working on a way to sell them for diaper and formula money. All the babies in room 1 & 2 got new fitted bed sheets, many of the older kids got new shoes, and with all the new hair accessories found, they can have salon days at the O in the evenings.

I am telling you- it was like Christmas the past few days, and the best part of all this, is we had every single bit of it already.

I am a bit Type A (wink), and having that room organized is like a little slice of heaven to me. I hate clutter. But it is all clean now and we can see what all we have!!!

Oh and we had a surprise this morning when we arrived. One of the cats delivered kittens either last night or way early this morning. Her delivery choice was the other closet in the baby room, so needless to say she had to be moved outside for her post partum care. I am allergic to cats, but thanks to nursing gloves- I got the babies in a tote with one of the million blankets we have, and she and her babies spent the day recovering in shade outside :)- Just another thing added for the resume!! HAHAH 

I apologize for no pictures; I was just trying to not get scratched!






No comments:

Post a Comment