Sunday, March 2, 2014

Week 3


   Forgive my lack of blogging lately, I have been living life here and really digging in to my work, so I haven’t had much downtime to sit and write. My evenings have been filled with research and reading, which is great- just doesn’t leave much room for me to write. The ideas are flowing, and after meeting with some really awesome people this week- I am slowly making some progress on my first project. Once it gets off to a start I will share, but we are still very fresh. This week has been a little different than the others. The kids are getting more and more used to my presence. My patience has been tested, and after a few discussions my translator will only be with me on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday- which means Tuesdays and Friday’s might become a challenge. I am praying that this past Tuesday doesn’t repeat itself weekly, but if it does then I will just tackle it the best I know how.  March is also going to be extremely busy month- I have a family coming for an entire month- one who has never been on a mission trip nor been to Haiti, so I have a lot to do to help them adjust, and we have 2 teams coming this month as well.  I am getting settled into life here, and loving every minute of it. Going back to state life will be a difficult transition for sure. I still can’t believe I have been here for 3 weeks already. My time is flying by, and I am trying to hold on and seize every minute of it.  

   I did not go to the O this Friday due to some other agenda items I had, and honestly I think the break was much needed. I know this sounds crazy- I have only been here for 3 weeks, how do I already need a break. And here is the reason- I work with Adults in the states on a daily basis, so coming here and working with 68 children all but about 15 under the age of 5 can be exhausting some days especially when you speak different languages. So I took the day and enjoyed every minute of it. I spent the morning being selfish- set no alarm (but those who live here know you don’t sleep past 6:45- 7- and it felt amazing to sleep that late). I got up, got ready and did an hour and a half workout. It felt AMAZING. I work out daily here, but it is only for about 25-35 minutes- definitely a good sweat session, but I thoroughly enjoyed my extra long workout and was even sore the next day!!! I showered off and enjoyed breakfast with Holly. Oatmeal and banana- my favorite breakfast here! I had made a lunch date for noon and since Holy takes me everywhere with her- I decided she needed to come with me ☺. I then had a wonderful devotional time on the balcony before getting ready to leave. We stopped by the O to check on a few things, and then headed out. We had a wonderful session, and decided to treat ourselves with Kokoye’s and oh my- was it delicious. The best grilled pulled chicken sandwich ever and an ice-cold beverage. Ahhhh ☺. All in all it was a wonderful day. 

   Saturday was yet another great day as I had an awesome run and relaxing day followed by a going away dinner for Kyle. She is taking on a new position in Japan and leaves this week. I love meeting all the Americans here and learning what each one does. It is truly an inspiration to keep trudging along. Saturday night ended great- great new friends, socialization, and great food. 

   Sunday thus far has been wonderful. I went to Pub church this morning. Pub church is a small group of all Americans from Port Au Prince and the surrounding cities who gather together on Sunday for Service. I know I will soon get over the initial shock of every time I see another American my face lightens up- I am learning there are A LOT of Americans here and everyone knows everyone. It’s so funny to me- Port Au Prince is so populated- yet everyone in some form or fashion is connected together. I love it. After church the pub turns into an actual restaurant where I had a SALAD- yep- greens, cheese, grilled chicken (WHAT!?!), tomato’s- the whole nine-yards!!!  It was delicious, and I even had coffee while I waited. I haven’t had coffee or any caffeine for that matter in 4 weeks- and to be honest I haven’t missed it either. The coffee was ok, but I will be ok to continue to go without. 

   It is now around 5pm and I am sitting on the balcony about to start working on getting the new guest a schedule for the stay here. It is peaceful here, besides the next-door neighbors dogs that have been barking for –I don’t know- 2 hours or so. We all know I am a huge dog lover, but holy cow he needs to take a nap for a bit!!!  

Have a Blessed week all.
 Ashley 

1 comment:

  1. You're doing amazing work, Ashley! Taking a break is a good thing. It sounds like you are living your life to the fullest there and that is a wonderful thing to "see" through your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete